Get Your Smarts On With Fat For Your Brain.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
The brain has a unique requirement for fat in our diet. A little known fact: by dried weight, the brain is 70% fat! Certain fats are essential for creating various brain structures in particular; neurons, cellular membranes, dendrites, myelin sheaths. All these components are involved in the very construction of our thoughts, emotions, our cognitive function. Suddenly the importance of fat takes on a whole new meaning!
So what exactly are these fats?
The fats we cannot synthesise in the body are called essential fats and must be ingested. They include:
- DHA/EPA – omega 3 fats from oily fish, algae, Spirulina, krill and other animals.
- plant based omega 3 fats – flaxseed, hemp, chia, walnut, macadamia, pumpkin seed, alpha linolenic acid
- gamma linoleic acid – evening primrose oil, sea buckthorn, blackberry oil
These are non-inflammatory fats, natural fats that come in nature and not processed, refined or synthetically created –unlike margarine and vegetable oils. Inflammatory fats will inflame the brain tissues and can lead to conditions such as Alzheimer’s. these undesirable fats include:
- Vegetable oils: margarine, hydrogenated, trans fats, homogenised fats, in short – damaged fats
- Omega 6 and 9 fats we need less of: vegetable oils like sunflower, safflower, canola, cottonseed.
To maintain low inflammation we need a ratio of 10:1 omega 3:omega 6, our current western diet gives us a ratio commonly of 1:3 omega 3:omega 6, this is at the root of our issues, we are inflamed!!!
- Actively reduce inflammatory oils, avoid those we can and increase or supplement the omega 3’s to redress the balance.
- Always include good fats in the diet to help build a smart brain.
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 3 medjool dates (soaked and de pitted for 4-6 hrs)
- ½ cup raw cashews/almonds (soaked for 4-6 hrs) or option to make it on coconut cream/milk instead
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional cacao for chocolate version!
- Blend together until creamy, add chia seeds and stir well, refrigerate overnight. Serve with fresh fruit and berries.
Stay in touch
Music in this episode.
Music is from Free Music Archive.
Latché Swing – Hungaria
Underscore Orkestra – Swing Gitane